Monday, June 22, 2009

Nix's Picks (25 Favorite Learning Tools)

On an almost daily basis, I read posts from education professionals as I am looking for resources that will help teachers to make learning not only challenging but "real." I want students to learn at high levels and to find what they are doing meaningful and even "fun." I scan Twitter posts and subscribe to feeds using Google Reader. I also like to just explore and use my intuition for evaluating what I like to use and what I think might be good tools for other educators.

Jane Hart of the Centre for Learning & Performance Technologies and Vince Hill of Cleassroom 2.0 have both compiled favorite lists of learning professionals. I think it would be fun to create a list of resources that are Kentucky favorites and to compare these with other state, national and international lists. I have found that this list changes for me so we might try to do this annually. The tools I have like the most in the past may move to the top of my list or may drop entirely off my "favorite list." A year ago, I thought that I could not manage without Google Notebook. However, now I have completely replaced this tool with Delicious.

I'll be discussing my "favorite tools" with a little more detail in future blogs. I hope you will help identify more useful resources and share your comments about my list.

Nix Picks: Top 25
GOOGLE, All Things (Reader, Docs, Groups, Calendar, Searches, Maps, Sites, Earth, etc.)
Delicious, Shared Bookmarking
Flickr, Shared Images
YouTube, Shared Video
Twitter, Micro Blogging
Skype, Communication -Collaboration
Blogger, Blogging
Slideshare, Shared Presentations
Twiddla, Live Collaboration
Poll Everywhere, Web Polling
Zamzar, File Conversion
Tinyurl, Shortening URLs
Wordle, Word Mapping
Animoto, Video Creation
Wikipedia, Wiki
Facebook, Social Network
Dropio, File Drops and Create Audio
Voicethread, Shared Photo Stories with Narration/Comments
Ning, Social Network Creation
Youmail, Voicemail Online
iTunes, Digital Media Manager/Player
Bubbl.us, Concept Mapping
Thinking Tools for Teachers and Students
Gcast, Podcasting
ALTEC Tools, Instructional Tools for Teachers and Students

3 comments:

Jeff Nelson said...

Great list and a fun session at KySTE. Would love to see other KY educators post their favorites.

By the way, what's your Twitter name if we want to follow?

Jamie Felts said...

Nice list Brenda! Love Poll Everywhere, great find! Drop.io rocks, spent my own money on Animoto... that's the best test of whether a site is good...lol

Others: imbedit.in, getdropbox.com, etherpad.com, evernote.com.

Paula said...

Hey Brenda! Thanks for sharing these - still enjoying the websites we learned about this summer at the Institute in June!

Paula Robinson
Marshall County